« Home | slowly but surely » | sexy knitters club » 

Friday, April 07, 2006 

awe, little Baby Bolero

(this will be repetative to anyone who read my LJ, but my head hurts too much to be original twice...)


Awe, little Baby Bolero.

I may not be too fond of kids, but I do love knitting baby items. You get such immediate gratification. This is the Baby Bolero from Leigh Radford's brilliant new book, One Skein. Heather provided me with the pattern up front and I have full intentions to purchase this book. Everything it is is fabulous.

I used size 8 and 9 Denise circulars and just under one skein (of course) of Blue Sky Alpaca Cotton in Honeydew. Talk about soft. I loved working with this yarn and would like to eventually make myself something with it since it's so comfy.


Here's a view of the neckline and the eyelet motif. According to the pattern, the eyelet pattern brings protection to those who wear it. I plan to make up a little care card to enclose with the bolero that has that little bit of lore on it. I'm sure Duane and Noreen will appreciate that.


The bolero is knit in one piece in three stages. After knitting 1.5 inches, 3/4 of the stitches are put on holders and one side is knit up. Then 1/2 of the stitches are removed from the holder and knit up to create the backside. Then the last 1/4 is knit for the second side. Attach the shoulder seams and voila! All that's left to do is pick up stitches all the way around, do 2 rows of k2, p2 rib and bind off.



Here's the Baby Bolero, peeking out the window. I thought it would be a good way to show off the backside of the garment.


I'm just in love with this little item and I'm so impressed that it took a total of about 7 hours to create from start to finish. I'm still debating on whether or not to put a little button with a loop on the front for closure purposes. I just donno. What do you think???

I love this! You did a fabulous job. Is it for a boy or a girl or is the gender a surprise to all?

-sarah (Just wanted to leave a comment here.)

I think it's perfect without the button, and I love that you did the lace. Do you have any yarn left? I might beg a bit off of you so I can knit a carrot rattle toy. :)

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Megan
  • From New Hampshire, United States
  • redhead. knitter. music buff. northern by birth. southern at heart. HP junkie. listener. friend. only child. traveler. dreamer.
My profile

Recently completed

Orangina by Glampyre

Simply Lovely Lace Socks
from Interweave Knits: Spring 2006
Gems Opals in Lilac by Louet Sales

Columbine Peak Socks
from Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles
Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in River

Baby Bolero
from One Skein
Blue Sky Alpaca Cotton in Honeydew

On the needles

Green Gable
Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Rue

Beaded Sweater
from Vintage Knits
Jaeger Matchmaker Merino 4-Ply in Cloud

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates